Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this sauce to be made into a tuna casserole. To make this into a completely Gluten-Free dish, use a 16 oz. package of Gluten Free Pasta. You can use any soy cheese for the sauce. I usually have in my fridge a white cheese (like Mozzarella) and a yellow cheese (like Cheddar). Make sure to use one that melts well! Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons garbonzo bean flour
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves (This can be optional, I happen to like garlic) or 2 -3 garlic powder (This can be optional, I happen to like garlic)
- In a skillet pan, heat the olive oil and add the onions with about 1 tsp of salt and cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden and cooked well. Add the garlic and cook them with the onions for about 1 minute.
- Add the Garbonzo flour to the onions and stir in well. Add the milk and whisk it in and make sure that there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the salt, pepper, and any other herbs and seasonings that would be preferred.
- Cook Med/High until thickened. You may need to add some more milk if the sauce gets too thick, about 1/4 cup at a time if needed. If the sauce is too thin, add 1 tbsp of flour more at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted.
- P.S.: when I made this in the tuna casserole, I put the cooked, drained, pasta into a large baking dish, poured the sauce over the pasta and sprinkled the cheese on top, rather than cook the cheese into the sauce. Baked this at 375 for about 15 minutes and the cheese melted. It was delicious!
I haven't made this recipe yet because I'm not sure how much cheese to use. Or is it just add as much cheese as you want kind of thing?