Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A gluten and dairy free version of our favorite banana cake. This recipe calls for steaming rather than baking to create a moist and delectable dessert.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
Sugar Crumb Topping
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. Boil water on high heat for the steamer beforehand.
- 2. In a bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Make sure to mix it well. Set it aside.
- 3. In another larger bowl, beat the eggs then combine mashed/pureed bananas and canola oil.
- 4. With a mixer, gradually add the dry ingredients until every last bit is blended.
- 5. Oil a baking pan or any type of container appropriate for steaming. (It doesn't really matter what shape it is as long as it fits the steamer and can also contain the batter leaving an inch allowance for puffing up.).
- 6. When the water boils, place the container and steam for 20 minutes.
- 7. Mix the ingredients for the sugar crumb topping. Mix well.
- 8. After 25 minutes, the cake has already puffed up. Spread the sugar crumb topping and continue steaming for 5 more minutes or until a fork or toothpick comes out clean when the middle part of the cake is poked all the way through.
- 9. Place on a rack and let it cool for about 20 minutes(or until you can resist the urge of devouring the whole thing). Enjoy!