Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This mulled wine is really simple and simply perfect for a winter evening. It always gets awesome reviews from guests and is SO much better than the store bought bottles or sachets! You can use really cheap wine for this, the cheaper the better!
- 3000.0 ml dry red wine
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml brown sugar (to taste)
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 12 cloves
- 14.79 ml grated nutmeg
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- twist lemon peel
- 3 slice fresh gingerroot
- 59.16 ml rum or 59.16 ml brandy
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy, appropriately sized pot and simmer slowly, giving the mixture a good stir every few minutes.
- Do not allow to boil – this burns off the alcohol (unless you want a non-alcoholic, mulled drink.)
- Strain and scoop into glasses or mugs when ready.
this is a great gluhwein. One of my favorite memories is drinking gluhwein in munich at the kris kringle markt on a cold day. Thanks for bringing it back.
Thank you for posting this tasty recipe. It brings back fond memories of a gift from our daughter, Karen.
While she was stationed in Germany, one of the best surprises we received was Gluhwein. I have loved this ever since . A real Holiday tradition