Recipe by mutch38
A very warming and very tasteful wintery drink that will warm you from within. This is a well known and very well "USED" recipe in the mountains of Europe. There are many variations to this recipe. I think this is by far the best.
Top Review by a_olson82
sooo delicious! this was a hit at my dinner! i went through high school in germany, and this tasted just like the gluhwein i remember... so simple and comforting! i used 25 cloves and 3 cinnamon sticks, and just threw it all in a crock pot on high for several hours, turning it down to low when it was time to serve. My friend took the recipe home... thanks!
- 1 large orange
- 1 large lemon
- 20 whole cloves (or more, Your taste)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (More if you like)
- 1 gallon Burgundy wine
- 12 -16 ounces rum (I use Bacardi)
- 1 cup sugar (More if you like it sweeter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Into the pot, pour the wine.
- add the cinnamon sticks.
- Cut the Lemon and the Orange in half. Take the whole cloves and insert them into the RIND of the fruits 5 in each half. add to the wine.
- Bring just to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer, COVERED for about 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove from hot burner.
- Remove lemon and orange halves,remove cloves and then squeeze the juices back into the wine.
- You then add the RUM and stir it into the wine. You can either add the sugar to the whole pot or add sugar to taste to each mug or heat proof glass.
- This will make you sleepy, so do not drive after you have consumed this drink.
- This is a stay at home and get comfy and feel warm all over drink.
- Unused portions can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 months and reheated as you wish. (Stove or Micro wave).
- Put pot back on very very low burner to keep warm or use an alcohol burner to keep it hot.