Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The perfect summer soup. This receipe is adapted from "James McNair's favorites" (more garlic, the addition of sugar and lemon)... and is very very nice. I was attempting to make enough for a couple of meals but we found this so delicious, we ate all of the would-be left-over's as well. Enjoy!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shallot
- 1 cup sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled seeded,chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- mixture chopped tomato
- basil leaves
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, pepper and cucumber.
- Stir in the shallot, garlic, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Use a blender or food processor to puree.
- I like this better if it is a bit chunky but puree according to taste.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Let this mixture sit in the refrigerator for any thing from a couple of hours to a day (better).
- When you want to serve it, let it sit out til it reaches room temperature (about half an hour).
- Scoop into bowls and sprinkle with toppings.
- I like to serve this with cheesy garlic bread.
- It is soooo good.