Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so good and easy to make.
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 (8 ounce) cartonsspreadable chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 (2 lb) package frozen hash browns
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a Microwave safe bowl combine the soup and cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until cream cheese is melted,stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and stir until coated.
- Spoon into a greased 13*9*2 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Ugh! Too rich and way too thick! My initial reaction to this recipe was to toss it into the trash and give it no stars. But, I had promised to take it to a July 4th Pool Party. Much to my surprise, FIVE people liked this dish so much that they insisted that I email them the website for the recipe. I too found that the baking time was at least 30 minutes longer than recommended. Perhaps the hash browns were meant to be defrosted before adding them to the sauce? I'll never make it again, but my friends may and would give 5 stars if they were to rate this dish. Vive la difference...
I halved the recipe since I only had one can of celery soup in the pantry... Very simple recipe to put together and throw in the oven with my main entree... however, it seemed it be missing something. It seemed a little bland to our tastes. I did end up cooking it for almost an hour before sprinkling on the cheese to make sure the potatoes were cooked through. It was just an "ok" side dish for us... but I might try it again one day and add some more seasonings... Thanks for sharing!
I also cooked this for almost an hour since I don't like crunchy potatoes. I mixed the cheeses in with all the other ingredients instead of baking it on top for the last 5 minutes. Next time I think I'll add some milk before cooking so it won't be so thick.