Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe found at nola.com.
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 slices white bread, toasted and trimmed, and moistened with 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- salt and cayenne
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup dried fine breadcrumbs
- Cook the cabbage in boiling salted water until just tender. remove from the heat and drain. When slightly cooled, chop fine.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the cream, butter, and the toasted bread crumbs and stir until the butter is completely melted. Season with salt and cayenne. Add the parsley and garlic. Mix well and pour the mixture into a large casserole.
- Combine the cheese and fine dried bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through, about 30 minutes.
Delicious!! Only change I made was to put most of the cheese in the casserole instead of on top. We'll be having this often!