Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
In the 50s when I was growing up this was the ultimate in exotic food. We even ate rice with it! It's still a treat today.
- 3 lbs pork
- 1 cup celery
- 3 large green peppers
- 4 slices pineapple
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef bouillon
- Cut pork, celery, peppers and pineapple into 1-inch (or so) chunks. Put the celery, peppers and pineapple into a large oven-proof casserole.
- Prepare batter for pork: combine eggs, flour, salt and garlic powder.
- Dip the pork chunks into the batter.
- Saute the meat chunks in oil until browned. Add to the casserole.
- Prepare the sauce: make a paste of cornstarch and a little bouillon. When smooth, add the rest of the bouillon gradually, avoiding lumps. Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Boil untl clear. Pour over the meat and vegetables in the casserole.
- Cover. Cook in oven 1 hour at 350 degrees. Stir to mix, serve and smile.