Recipe by papergoddess
My friend Gloria is from mexico and makes refried beans just like you get in a good Mexican restaurant. I begged her for the recipe, and I'll share it with you. Cook time includes 2 hr. soaking time.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean, cleaned (Be sure to wash your beans VERY WELL. Pinto beans can be gritty if not thoroughly cleaned)
- 5 cups water
- 1 -2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 cup hot bacon drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, water, and onion in a large dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat for 2 hours (or soak beans in cold water overnight) Return to heat, bring to a boil, and simmer slowly until beans are very tender, about 3 hours.
- Coarsely mash beans with a potato masher, and add bacon drippings; mix well.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until beans are thickened and fat is absorbed.
- Salt to taste.