Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My friend Gloria is from mexico and makes refried beans just like you get in a good Mexican restaurant. I begged her for the recipe, and I'll share it with you. Cook time includes 2 hr. soaking time.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean, cleaned (Be sure to wash your beans VERY WELL. Pinto beans can be gritty if not thoroughly cleaned)
- 5 cups water
- 1 -2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 cup hot bacon drippings
- Combine beans, water, and onion in a large dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat for 2 hours (or soak beans in cold water overnight) Return to heat, bring to a boil, and simmer slowly until beans are very tender, about 3 hours.
- Coarsely mash beans with a potato masher, and add bacon drippings; mix well.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until beans are thickened and fat is absorbed.
- Salt to taste.
Oh my gosh, these are excellent refried beans. I would give you 10 stars if I could. Thank You!
Delish! I soaked mine overnight - used about 5 strips of diced bacon (and the drippings) - tossed in a dash of garlic and chili powder. Don't be worried if it seems like you have a lot of liquid when you start mashing the beans - it will disappear as you mash and finish cooking the beans. I mashed mine until they were almost the consistency of mashed potatoes. Thank you for the recipe.
These are fantastic! Very easy to make and as authentic as a favorite Mexican restaurant we go to. Thanks!