Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These rolls are sweet and delicious
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, 105 to 115 degrees
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Combine rolled oats and boiling water.
- Allow to stand 1 hour.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm (105-115) water.
- Add to oats along with molasses, salt, and butter.
- Add flour and knead to get a smooth dough.
- Let rise, punch down, and allow to rise again.
- Flour your work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll dough out to 1/2" thick.
- The cut rolls with either a biscuit cutter or juice glass.
- Place rolls in a large buttered pan (11x17? size?) and let double.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Brush tops of rolls with butter after they're done baking to keep them moist and to hide the floury surface of the rolls.