Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best way to get into the holiday spirit... And it makes your home smell absolutely amazing!
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom pods, hulled
- 12 allspice berries
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup kirschwasser
- 2 (750 ml) bottles red wine
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- combine cloves, allspice berries, and hulled cardamom pods. crush lightly with mortar and pestle or with plastic baggie and something heavy.
- combine sugar and water over medium-low heat in a sauce pan to make a simple syrup.
- add bruised spices and cinnamon sticks and simmer over low heat 10 minutes.
- add orange zest and juice and simmer for another 5 minutes (your house will begin to smell AMAZING!).
- transfer syrup mixture into a pot large enough to hold wine and kirschwasser.
- add wine, raisins, and kirschwasser to syrup mixture.
- warm slowly over low heat.
- be careful if you're standing over this while it warms- the vapor rising off contains ethanol and can make you tipsy.