Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I got from a friend. It is an excellent appetizer or party snack. It makes a great gift, too!
- 1 whole star anise, pod
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb extra-fancy walnut halves
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- fine salt
- Finely grind the spices in a grinder. Set aside.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil over a high heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add walnuts and cook for 1 minute only. Drain in a large colander. DO NOT RINSE.
- Immediately toss the walnuts with the sugar in the colander until the hot water clinging to the walnuts melts the sugar to form a thin glaze.
- In two batches, deep fry the walnuts until golden, about 3minutes.
- Using a wire mesh skimer, transfer the walnuts to an unlined baking sheet and let cool completely.
- When cooled, transfer the walnuts to the paper towels and pat with more towels to drain excess oil.
- Put the walnuts in a bowl. While tossing the nuts, sift the spice mixture through a fine-meshed sieve over them. Discard the hulls left in the seive.
- Season the walnuts with salt.
- The walnuts can be prepared up to 1 week ahead, stored in an airtight container at room temperature.