Recipe by Ninna
Original recipe from Australian Women's Weekly but modified over the years. My daughter Kerri has asked me to post this here. I usually take the quicker option and do the covered cooking in the microwave, covering with cling wrap. I've never heated the cream first and these days I substitute with skim evaporated milk and light cheese.
Top Review by Jen T
Another "keeper" for me. Very easy to make and a nice creamy dish. I did add a little garlic powder as well :) Served this with buttered quickly cooked cabbage and Chef Potts recipe#213676. A great meal for a cold night. :)
- 1 kg potato, peeled & sliced thinly
- salt & pepper
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 200 -300 ml cream
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cheese, shredded (amount depends on size of dish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a layer of potato in a greased ovenproof dish (I use a large shallow dish); sprinkle with salt & pepper, then layer some onion slices over potato.
- Heat cream over medium heat and spoon approximately 1/4 cup over onion slices.
- Continue in layers of potato, salt & pepper, onion and cream, finishing with potato.
- Sprinkle cheese over and bake covered with greased foil in a moderate oven 180degC (350degC) for 30 minutes; remove foil and cook for a further 45 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and cheese crunchy.