Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe in my microwave book as well as from others online. We love this and it is easy because you can make the soup base, freeze it then reheat when needed and add the seafood minutes before eating. I sometimes like to serve it with rice but usually just with crusty bread. Don't overcook fish or seafood and stock must not be boiling whilst cooking seafood so don't forget to reduce heat. You can use any seafood, crabs, lobster etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 leeks, very finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (400 g) cans tomatoes
- 1 (140 g) container tomato paste
- 8 cups fish stock, if microwaving heat stock first
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (2 tsp if dried)
- 15 saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon chili, minced
- 3 drops hot sauce, I use Tabasco
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons sugar (taste add more if acidy)
- 1⁄4 orange, zest of, only
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 kg fish fillet, firm
- 1 kg king prawns, green peeled (some with tails intact)
- 1 kg calamari
- Sauté onions and leek in olive oil, add garlic, then tomatoes, tomato paste, fish stock, wine, thyme, saffron, chilli, Tabasco, bay leaf, sugar, orange peel, pepper & salt.
- Cook for approx 20 mins, this can be done in the microwave for 10 minutes.
- Transfer stock to a large saucepan with a heavy base (remove orange rind and bay leaf) - or store in fridge for a couple of days or freeze until later.
- Bring stock to a boil, REDUCE HEAT and add fish, cook for 4 - 6 mins, then add prawns and calamari and cook for 4 minutes, or until pink colour - large ones can take 6 minutes or more.
i personally do not like seafood, but i made this for my 1 year old and she LOVED it! she could not get enough and would actually lift the cup and drink the last of it. i left out all the seafood except for fish, as a 1 year old is not supposed to have shellfish, but my husband also said it was good. i am going to make it again for her with the shellfish as soon as she is old enough.