2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
In 'The Grand Central Baking Book'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1 pound, 6.5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature (12 ounces or 3 sticks)
- 2 3/4 cups sugar (1 pound, 3.25 ounces)
- 1 cup egg white, at room temperature (about 7-8 whites)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk, at room temperature (16 fl.oz. )
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; grease and lightly flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- 2Measure the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a bowl; sift or whisk to combine.
- 3Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on med-high speed until the mixture is very light in color--almost white--and the texture is fluffy, about 7 minutes; scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times during the process.
- 4Combine the egg whites and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup; with the mixer on medium speed, add the egg whites slowly (about 1/4 cup at a time), completely incorporating each before adding the next; scrape bowl as needed.
- 5Note--to me, the author makes the next steps more complicated in her description; here is what I do when adding the dry and wet ingredients-- add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour).
- 6Author's instructions--Decrease mixer speed to low; add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the mixer and incorporate on low speed, then increase to medium speed.
- 7Add 1 cup of the milk and mix briefly to incorporate; reduce speed to low again, add half the remaining dry ingredients, and mix to incorporate, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute.
- 8Repeat with the remaining 1 cup milk and the remaining dry ingredients, but stop mixing just before the flour is fully incorporated.
- 9Finish the mixing by hand, using a sturdy spatula and being sure to scrape up from the bottom of the bowl.
- 10Pour the batter into the prepared pan; bake for 45 minutes, then rotate the pan, lower oven temperature to 325°, and bake for 30 minutes more.
- 11It's ready when the sides pull away from the pan slightly and it springs back when pressed lightly in the center; the top will probably split; use a cake tester to check for doneness.
- 12Make the glaze while the cake is in the oven--measure the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla into a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- 13Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before turning it out.
- 14Whisk the glaze again until completely smooth, then use it immediately.
- 15Saturate the cake completely, using a pastry brush to coat the entire surface.
- 16Apply the entire amount of glaze; it will be enough for several coats.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Vanilla Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.6
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 457.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 45.6 g
- Protein 7.4 g