Recipe by Sharon123
You won't miss the meat because the tofu is pressed, glazed with a sweet, spicy sauce and topped with a crisp slaw of jicama and carrots! Adapted from Food & Wine magazine.
Top Review by Canadian_in_the_Bay
This is a wonderful gourmet tofu recipe. This will be on my list of recipes for any pesco-vegetarian guests we may have over for a BBQ in the future. The only changes I made were to serve this on french bread, cut the amount of tofu in half (I'm glad I did that because otherwise I would have had 8 sandwiches instead of 4), and to grate the jicama and the carrots instead of julienning them.
- 2 (14 ounce) blocks extra firm tofu, drained, split horizontally
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno jelly
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 small jicama, peeled, julienned
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- olive oil, for brushing
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the tofu on a work surface and top with a cookie sheet and 2 or 3 heavy cans or pans. Let stand for about 1 hour, or until tofu is very firm and liquid has been pressed out. Pat the toful dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk the jalapeno jelly with the ketchup,soy sauce, sesame oil and 1 tbls. lime juice.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar with garlic and minced jalapeno. Using the side of a spoon, mash the mixture to a paste. Add the fish sauce and remaining 1 tbls. of lime juice. Stir in the jicama, carrots, cilatro and mint.
- Light a grill or turn on the broiler. Brush the tofu and the cut sides of the rolls with the olive oil. Lightly grill(or broil) the rolls, about 2 minutes. Grill or broil the tofu until lightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Brush on the jalapeno jelly glaze and grill(or broil), turning and brushing until nicely glazed, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on both halves of each kaiser roll. Mound the jicama slaw on the rolls and top with the tofu steaks. Colse the sandwiches, cut in half and serve! Enjoy!