Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh strawberries make this a delicious and easy tart to make. You can bake the crust a day or two ahead of time and assemble the tart just before serving. Crust dough requires at least 1 hour chill time.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raspberry jam or 3⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Stir together flour, almonds, sugar, lemon peel and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until coarse crumbs form.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl; stir into flour mixture until dough forms.
- Shape into disk.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Place dough on baking sheet; pat into a 10-inch circle forming a high edge.
- Pierce bottom of dough all over with a fork.
- Bake until slightly browned about 25 minutes.
- Place baking sheet on a wire rack and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer shell to rack to cool completely.
- Melt jam with lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat until spreadable.
- Spread 1/2 cup jam mixture over bottom of the shell.
- Arrange berries on top, cut sides down.
- Brush with remaining jam mixture.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Delicious, beautiful presentation, and easy to make. Served to guests and 6 of us devoured the entire tart! I baked the crust on a silpat sheet on a cookie sheet. Whipped up a half pint of heavy cream for topping to which I added a dash of vanilla, a squeeze of lemon juice and about 1 TBSP sugar. Also added a few blueberries between strawberries for color.
This tasted delicious and was easy to make. I loved the lemon and almonds in the crust. The crust was a little too hard though. I really think it needed another egg. I would love to make this again and get the crust perfect, because it really was fabulous. I posted a picture of it, I hope you like it.