Rhubarb cooked in a double boiler stays more intact than when it's stewed, plus it looks pretty beside the fresh strawberries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 3 cups strawberries, halved
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup graham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1In top of double boiler, bring sugar and water to boil over direct heat. Place over saucepan of gently boiling water. Add rhubarb; cover and poach, without stirring, just until tender and shape still holds, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, without stirring.
- 2CRUST: Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together graham crumbs, almonds and butter until moistened. Press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch (23 cm) round tart pan with removable bottom. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until crust is firm to the touch, about 12 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- 3FILLING: In bowl, beat together cream cheese, whipping cream and sugar until spreadable, about 3 minutes. Spread in tart shell and halfway up side. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, place strawberries in large bowl.
- 5With a slotted spoon, remove rhubarb and add to the strawberries. Set aside.
- 6In small saucepan, bring liquid from rhubarb to boil. Whisk cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water; whisk into liquid and boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to fruit; stir very gently to coat. Spoon over cheese filling. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Serves 8.
- 7Canadian Living Magazine: June 2006.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Strawberry Rhubarb Tart
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.9
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 192.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g