Recipe by HeatherFeather
A recipe from my Great Aunt's recipe box, clipped from the local newspaper. From the red strawberry stains on the recipe, I am guessing this is a good one. Prep time does not include chilling time. The original version called for regular cream cheese, but these days I would use neufchatel.
- 12 ounces cream cheese or 12 ounces neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 10 inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed,drained well,hulled
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- red food coloring, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and smooth.
- Spread into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 35-40 minutes (Cover crust with a pie shield or a ring of foil if it starts to overbrown).
- As soon as the pie comes out of the oven, immediately spread the sour cream on top.
- Cool completely.
- Place the best looking whole strawberries (tips upward) across the surface of the pie (save some for the topping).
- Mash any remaining berries and combine with 1 cup water in a small pan; cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve and return the sieved juices back to the pan.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cornstarch and add to the berry juice, along with lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring; let cool.
- Carefully spoon glaze over the pie, then chill pie well before serving.