Recipe by ReeLani
Found this in a local newspaper and scribbled it down. I've had lots of lemon poppy seed cake but never heard of one made with grapefruit. I haven't tried this yet but am looking forward to it.
Top Review by mollypaul
A very tasty cake, not overwhelmingly "grapefruit-y". Like KrabKokonas, I would recommend doubling the peel for more citrus flavor and increasing the % of grapefruit juice. Didn't have any buttermilk, so combined whole milk with the juice to sour it. We found that this cake was better eaten the first day or two.
For the Cake
- 236.59 ml butter
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 709.77 ml flour, sifted
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 36.97 ml grated grapefruit peel (divided)
- 29.58 ml poppy seeds
- 59.14 ml fresh grapefruit juice
For the Glaze
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh grapefruit juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 10" tube or bundt pan.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar and beat'til fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Add 1 1/2 tbs of the grapefruit peel, the poppy seeds and 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice'til combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or'til a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- While cake is cooling prepare the glaze by combining the confectioners sugar and the 2 tbs of grapefruit juice'til the mixture is smooth.
- When cake has cooled drizzle with glaze.
- For added garnish peel and section a grapefruit and top each slice of cake with a grapefruit wedge.