1/3 Photos of Glazed Rio Star Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake
1 hr 30 mins
Found this in a local newspaper and scribbled it down. I've had lots of lemon poppy seed cake but never heard of one made with grapefruit. I haven't tried this yet but am looking forward to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated grapefruit peel (divided)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
For the Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Grease a 10" tube or bundt pan.
- 3In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar and beat'til fluffy.
- 4Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
- 5In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- 6Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- 7Add 1 1/2 tbs of the grapefruit peel, the poppy seeds and 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice'til combined.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 9Bake 1 hour or'til a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 10Cool cake in pan 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 11While cake is cooling prepare the glaze by combining the confectioners sugar and the 2 tbs of grapefruit juice'til the mixture is smooth.
- 12When cake has cooled drizzle with glaze.
- 13For added garnish peel and section a grapefruit and top each slice of cake with a grapefruit wedge.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Rio Star Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.0
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 298.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 50.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: