Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Belgium. From the "International Vegetarian Cookbook". This is a custard, glazed with apricot jam and kirsch. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds delicious. Note: prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups almonds, whole, blanched
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 quart milk (4 cups)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup apricot jam, pressed through a sieve
- 2 tablespoons kirsch liqueur
- whipping cream (garnish)
- sugar, to taste, for sweetening whipped cream
- Spread whole almonds in a shallow pan and toast in a 350F degree oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Place rice in a bowl, add water to cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain well.
- In a 2 to 3-quart pan, combine rice, milk, 3 Tablespoons of the sugar, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to very low, and cook until rice is tender to bite (about 15 minutes); remove from heat. Beat egg yolks with some of the rice mixture and return all to the pan. Stir in the 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites, until soft, moist peaks form. Gradually beat in 3 Tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Fold egg white mixture and chopped almonds into rice. Pour into a greased and lightly floured 10 or 11-inch quiche dish or other shallow baking dish with a 6 to 8-cup capacity; spread evenly.
- Bake in a 350F degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until custard is set and top is lightly browned. Remove custard from oven. In a small bowl, stir together jam and kirsch. Spread mixture over custard. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until next day.
- To serve, whip cream, adding sugar to taste. With a pastry bag and star tip, pipe whipped cream around edge of tart (or spoon cream around edge in swirls to form a ring); arrange almonds in a ring atop apricot glaze. Cut into wedges.