Wonderfully simple, old-fashioned recipe for a very moist and delicious cake. This was my grandmother's recipe, and four generations have enjoyed it over the years.
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup cooked,chopped prune
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 13x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and cook slowly over medium heat until thickened slightly.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven; prick holes over the surface of the hot cake with a fork, and pour the glaze over the top.
- Cover and allow to cool slightly before serving (this allows the glaze to soak down into the cake).
OH... thank you! This cake was really good. It turned out nice and moist and flavorful. For those of you out there that are like me.. here are some substitutions that I used. I didn't have buttermilk, so I just added a Tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk for the cake and added one and a half teaspoons of white vinegar to the half-cup of milk for the buttermilk in the glaze recipe. I usually don't have self-rising flour on hand.. so in place of the 2 cups of self-rising flour I used 2 cups of all purpose flour and added 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 3 teaspoons of baking powder to it... And also used the salt that is called for in the recipe, too. Don't leave that out, thinking that it's too much salt. It will be fine.
This is so yummy! My 2 little ones loved this cake even though it "had no frosting" I used applesauce instead of oil and added french vanilla to the cake and topping and instead of using all of the sugar I used 1/2 cup sugar & 1/2 cup agave in the cake and sorta the same for topping but the topping was a bit thin?? I dont know what the consistancy should be so next time ill make topping according to directions and see what it should be.. but I loved it just the same... thanks, oh and I did not have any self rising flower so I made my own as recommended by another reviewer...
Very good. Not too sweet. Moist and flavorful. My dad loved it! The glaze made it.