Recipe by Trking86
These pearl onions taste like candy! I've been making this recipe for years, usually only for the holiday season 'cause of the prep time. Although I hear you can use peeled frozen pearl onions to make prep faster. Make them a couple days ahead of time for a better taste.
- 3 (10 ounce) bagsunpeeled white pearl onions (root ends trimmed but left intact)
- 3 cups ruby port
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Using sharp knife, cut X across root ends of pearl onions; place in large bowl. Pour hot tap water over onions; let soak 1 hour. Remove onions from water and peel.
- Transfer to large pot. Add Port, broth, bay leaves, and brown sugar; bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until onions are tender when pierced with sharp knife, about 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to bowl. Boil liquid in pot until syrupy and reduced to 3 tablespoons, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Stir vinegar into Port reduction. Season to taste with salt. Pour Port reduction over onions. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.