Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this recipe when I had a heap of peaches that wouldn't go soft or ripen. It is a low fat, light and tasty cake which is nicely accompanied by low fat ice-cream, low fat natural yogurt, or just by itself for afternoon tea :-)
- 5 large peaches, sliced keep uneven, small chunks too
- 2 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius,.
- Grease and flour shallow quiche tin with removable bottom.
- Peel and slice peaches and keep irregular chunks.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour water and brandy into saucepan.
- Layer peach slices in saucepan.
- In between each layer sprinkle sugar and cinnamon mixture, then squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Pour remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture into saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer until peaches are soft, but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine sugar, flour, half of butter, loose peach chunks and milk into a bowl and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour into quiche tin.
- Arrange peach slices to cover entire cake slightly overlapping each other.
- Mix softened remaining butter with egg white.
- Brush onto peaches and sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.