Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yum, delicious orange glazed scones! Very good! I love to warm them up in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that they get warm and soft! Hope you enjoy them also! And I won't take credit for this recipe, as I got it from here: http://theblackapple.typepad.com/inside_a_black_apple/2008/06/glazed-orange-s.html
Ingredients for Scones
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1⁄2 orange
- 1 (16 ounce) bag confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 200 degrees Celsius.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter , and using a pastry tool or your hands, mix until the mixture is crumbly and there are still pea-sized lumps of butter visible. Stir in the zest of one of the oranges. Mix together the sour cream and a 1/2 a cup of the orange juice in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently just until blended. Do not over-do the blending!
- With floured hands, pat scone dough into balls 2 to 3 inches across, depending on what size you want. Place on greased baking sheet, and flatten lightly. Whisk together the egg and the milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for about 10 mintues.
- Bake for around 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are JUST golden brown. Transfer to rack to cool.
- Once cool, you can leave them be, or glaze them if wanted.
- To make the glaze, combine the rest of the orange juice, the rest of the zest, and the 1/2 orange cut into very small chunks. Simmer the mixture lightly for about 10 minutes, then take it off the heat and let cool. Once cool, add the confectioner's sugar until it reachs a good glazing consistency, and stir until smooth.
- If any are left over, store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.