Amie Layne's Note:
Yum, delicious orange glazed scones! Very good! I love to warm them up in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that they get warm and soft! Hope you enjoy them also! And I won't take credit for this recipe, as I got it from here: http://theblackapple.typepad.com/inside_a_black_apple/2008/06/glazed-orange-s.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Ingredients for Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 200 degrees Celsius.
- 2Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter , and using a pastry tool or your hands, mix until the mixture is crumbly and there are still pea-sized lumps of butter visible. Stir in the zest of one of the oranges. Mix together the sour cream and a 1/2 a cup of the orange juice in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently just until blended. Do not over-do the blending!
- 3With floured hands, pat scone dough into balls 2 to 3 inches across, depending on what size you want. Place on greased baking sheet, and flatten lightly. Whisk together the egg and the milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for about 10 mintues.
- 4Bake for around 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are JUST golden brown. Transfer to rack to cool.
- 5Once cool, you can leave them be, or glaze them if wanted.
- 6To make the glaze, combine the rest of the orange juice, the rest of the zest, and the 1/2 orange cut into very small chunks. Simmer the mixture lightly for about 10 minutes, then take it off the heat and let cool. Once cool, add the confectioner's sugar until it reachs a good glazing consistency, and stir until smooth.
- 7If any are left over, store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Orange Scones
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.7
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.9 mg
- Sodium 233.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 67.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of