1/1 Photo of Glazed Orange Rolls
2 hrs 40 mins
There is a really nice story behind this recipe. When I was 10 and in Girl Scouts we had a potluck and my mom brought these rolls. She had found the recipe in a newspaper clip-out. All the recipes/items brought were turned into a GS Cookbook for our region. When we received our cookbook - low and behold we were missing a few pages and of course this recipe was on those pages. It has taken me 30 years to find this recipe (well I did not search all 30 but it did take over a year of hard searching to find it). A man (no name ever given) from a community recipe group I belong shared this recipe after I posted again of my search. My mom is thrilled as it is the recipe she remembers and now I will have more than just the memory of these yummy rolls but also of the history that goes along with it. I probably would have forgotten that potluck dinner with the other Girl Scouts if it were not for this lost recipe that now has been found. I hope you too enjoy them and make special memories with your family and friends when you serve them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 g) package dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 -3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
ORANGE BUTTER GLAZE
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2Add 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, egg, melted butter, grated orange rind, and orange juice; beat at medium speed until blended.
- 3Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 4Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 5Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 6Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
- 7Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Cover with a towel, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 8Combine chopped orange and 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry between paper towels; set aside.
- 9Make a crease across each circle, and place an orange piece in center. Fold over; gently press edges to seal.
- 10Place rolls in a lightly greased baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes.
- 11Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 12Spread with glaze.
- 13FOR GLAZE: Cream butter and orange rind at medium speed; add powdered sugar alternately with juices, beating until blended. Yield: 1/3 cup.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Orange Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 159.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 2.0 g