1 hr 25 mins
Elly in Canada's Note:
An impressive breakfast loaf studded with ruby rhubarb and flecked with orange peel is a splendid way to start the day. This bread is wonderful spread with cream cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups frozen rhubarb or 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup pecans or 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1Measure out rhubarb. Defrost frozen rhubarb, then drain well and pat dry. If using fresh rhubarb, chop finely.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- 3Lightly grease a 9x5-inch (1.5-L) loaf pan. Stir rhubarb with 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar and set aside.
- 4Finely grate peel from 2 oranges to make about 2 tablespoons (30 mL), and squeeze out 1 cup (250 mL) juice.
- 5Measure 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of this juice into a dish. Stir in 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar and set aside to glaze loaf.
- 6In a medium-size bowl, beat egg.
- 7Stir in remaining juice, grated peel and vanilla.
- 8Measure flour, 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar, baking powder, soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 9Stir with a fork until blended and make a well in centre. Pour in egg mixture and cooled melted butter.
- 10Stir just until evenly combined.
- 11Batter is very thick.
- 12Stir in rhubarb mixture and nuts just until evenly distributed.
- 13Turn into prepared pan. Batter will almost fill the pan. Smooth top.
- 14Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until top is golden and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes.
- 15Place pan on a rack.
- 16Stir orange juice and sugar mixture. Pour over top of hot loaf.
- 17Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Then, turn out of pan and place loaf on rack to finish cooling.
- 18Loaf will keep well, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days; store in refrigerator if longer. Or wrap airtight and freeze.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Orange-Rhubarb Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.5
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 335.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g