Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
An impressive breakfast loaf studded with ruby rhubarb and flecked with orange peel is a splendid way to start the day. This bread is wonderful spread with cream cheese.
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen rhubarb or 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Measure out rhubarb. Defrost frozen rhubarb, then drain well and pat dry. If using fresh rhubarb, chop finely.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Lightly grease a 9x5-inch (1.5-L) loaf pan. Stir rhubarb with 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar and set aside.
- Finely grate peel from 2 oranges to make about 2 tablespoons (30 mL), and squeeze out 1 cup (250 mL) juice.
- Measure 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of this juice into a dish. Stir in 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar and set aside to glaze loaf.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat egg.
- Stir in remaining juice, grated peel and vanilla.
- Measure flour, 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar, baking powder, soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir with a fork until blended and make a well in centre. Pour in egg mixture and cooled melted butter.
- Stir just until evenly combined.
- Batter is very thick.
- Stir in rhubarb mixture and nuts just until evenly distributed.
- Turn into prepared pan. Batter will almost fill the pan. Smooth top.
- Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until top is golden and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place pan on a rack.
- Stir orange juice and sugar mixture. Pour over top of hot loaf.
- Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Then, turn out of pan and place loaf on rack to finish cooling.
- Loaf will keep well, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days; store in refrigerator if longer. Or wrap airtight and freeze.
This is a lovely loaf. I love the combination of orange and rhubarb. Thanks for sharing!