Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the local paper. Posting for safe keeping.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 large oranges
- 3 tablespoons candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Use a fine grated to remove zest from the oranges, add zest and candied ginger to creamed mixture and beat inches.
- Juice the oranges to get about 1 cup orange juice, then add it and the buttermilk.
- Mix. The dough may curdle a bit. Add the dry ingredients 2 cups at a time, mixing well between additions.
- Bake in batches, drop the cookies in 1 t mounds on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze, in a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies, or use a pastry brush to brush it on. Let the glaze dry before storing cookies.