Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted to the Cafe Cookie Book by kitkat204.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- orange juice
- Stir vinegar into milk. Set aside.
- Rub orange peel into sugar until moist and fragrant. Cream sugar and shortening together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in milk and juice.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into wet ingredients until well-combined. Drop by teaspoons on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, orange peel, shortening and orange extract. Add orange juice until glaze is smooth and spreadable. When cookies have cooled to "slightly warm," dip in glaze and let dry on cooling racks before storing in airtight containers.