Recipe by Celeste :)
This moist, flavorful bread is bursting with the fresh flavor of oranges, so it's hard to believe that it's practically fat-free. HINT: Fresh orange juice is best for this recipe, but good-quality frozen or refrigerated juice works well, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream (8 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE THE BREAD: Preheat oven to 350*. Coat a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, orange peel, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of teh flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, applesauce, orange juice, and egg whites. Scrape into the well in the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the bread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set on a rack.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE: In a small bowl, stir together the orange juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle a thin layer of the glaze on the bread while it is still warm. When the galze is dry, add another layer. Repeat until all the glaze is used. Let the bread cool completely before serving.