Prep 48 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
Beautiful Cake with glazed oranges made in a spring form pan. The cake may be prepared ahead of the oranges and cream, wrapped well in plastic wrap or kept frozen. If frozen, unwrap before thawing.
glazed orange slice
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 4 seedless oranges, sliced thin cross-wise
- 6 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
orange bavarian cream
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1.5 (2 1/2 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin, softened in 2 tbsp water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Glaze the orange slices:.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add orange slices, lower the heat and simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool in syrup overnight.
- Make the Cake:.
- Preheat overn to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 10 minutes, until very thick and pale.
- Gradually fold in the flour.
- Fold 1/4 of the batter into the melted butter, then fold the butter mixture into the remaining batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around teh edge of the pan to release the cake.
- Remove the sides and the bottom of the pan.
- Trim any crips edges and slice the cake horzontally into 3 thin layers.
- Orange Bavarian Cream:.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk to simmering.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks with 9 tablespoons of the sugar until well combined.
- Gradually beat in the hot milk.
- Stir in the softened gelatin.
- Retrun the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden sppon for about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, (Do not let boil or the eggs will curdle.).
- Stir in the vanilla and Cointreau.
- Place the saucepan over a bowl of rice and stir until the mixture of mounds.
- In a bowl, softly whip the cream with the remaining tbsp of sugar.
- Carefully fold it into the chillled Bavarian mixture.
- Line a 10" springform pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 5" overhang all around.
- Drain the orange slices and reserve the syrup.
- Choose the largest slices and place them in a decorative pattern on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Finely chop the remaining oranges and fold into the Bavarian Cream.
- Spoon 1/3 of the Bavarian Cream over the oranges.
- Place 1 layer of the cake over the cream and brush with some of the reserved syrup.
- Repeat twice wtih the remaining cream and layers.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place a 9" cake pan on top of the cake and put a 2 lb. weight in the center of the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To Serve:.
- Remove the weighted pan and plastic wrap.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- Remove the sides and bottom of the pan and peel off the plastic wrap.
- Slice with a very sharp knife.