Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's too bad that onions are so seldom served on their own. Here is a recipe that does them jusitice.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan until it sizzles.
- Add the onions and toss them for a few minutes so that they turn slightly brown.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the onions and continue to toss them over low heat until they are completely covered with a sticky layer of sugar.
- Add the stock and simmer uncovered until the stock evaporates, leaving a thick glaze that covers the onions.
- This will take about 15 minutes.
- Shake the saucepan from time to time while cooking.
- Serve very hot.
Really an unusual & an outstanding side dish! Definitely a great way to enjoy onions, for sure! I made just enough for the 2 of us, but another time I want to make enough of this recipe for company to enjoy! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #43]
These are delightful! The glaze is nicely flavored and paired wonderfully with the pearl onions. It immediately came to mind as a great option for a side dish for the holidays, so I'll be keeping this one handy later this year for sure! Thanks for sharing. ZWT8
I really enjoyed this served with some lemon butter potatoes for supper! I used veg. ck and loved the glaze. Thanks! Made for Australian Swap-April 2011.