Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I only cook the onions for 10 minutes but I like a slight crunch to the onion. Some like them well done so then just cook longer. This is a great side dish.
- 1 lb small pickling onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other veggie oil)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Pour boiling water over the onions and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain onions, peel but be careful to leave the ends intact so the onions do not fall apart while cooking. Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, cloves. and bayleaf in a saucepan.
- Add peeled onions, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until they are as cooked as you like them. Use gentle heat and just simmer. The sauce will be syrupy and the onions glazed. Season with salt.
Lovely sweetly spiced onions, I served this with a pot roast. Give this a try for something just a little different. Thanks Bergy. =)
Excellent recipe. Just what I have been looking for since last year when I realised that most people have not even heard of Glazed Onions. Thanks a lot Bergy!