Recipe by Bergy
I only cook the onions for 10 minutes but I like a slight crunch to the onion. Some like them well done so then just cook longer. This is a great side dish.
- 1 lb small pickling onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other veggie oil)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over the onions and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain onions, peel but be careful to leave the ends intact so the onions do not fall apart while cooking. Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, cloves. and bayleaf in a saucepan.
- Add peeled onions, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until they are as cooked as you like them. Use gentle heat and just simmer. The sauce will be syrupy and the onions glazed. Season with salt.