Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very yummy bar. I try and convince myself the oatmeal and the orange juice makes them "healthy". Do not omit the glaze; it really "makes" this bar.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9"X9" square pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Mix together shortening, brown sugar and egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes.
- About four or five minutes before brownies are done, combine orange juice and sugar in a pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add orange rind.
- When brownies are done and still hot, poke top with a fork a few times and pour hot orange glaze all over.
- Let cool and cut into bars.
Oh this bar is so yummy! I was very surprised how good it was. Moist too! The glaze is perfect on it. The only thing I did alittle different is, I let the oatmeal soak with the milk for awhile then added it to the mix with the eggs. I will make this agin! Thanks for a great recipe!!!
These are good and very simple to make .. I especially loved the glaze! thanks, I will make this again!