A very yummy bar. I try and convince myself the oatmeal and the orange juice makes them "healthy". Do not omit the glaze; it really "makes" this bar.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9"X9" square pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Mix together shortening, brown sugar and egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes.
- About four or five minutes before brownies are done, combine orange juice and sugar in a pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add orange rind.
- When brownies are done and still hot, poke top with a fork a few times and pour hot orange glaze all over.
- Let cool and cut into bars.