Recipe by MarieRynr
This is our favorite meat loaf recipe. I got the basic recipe from the Fanny Farmer Cooking School cookbook and added the glaze myself. Leftovers make great sandwiches!
Top Review by OB Nurse
Yummy! I made this using ground turkey (it was on sale), and put in the bell pepper as suggested, and it made a terrific low-fat dinner. I only used 1/4 cup brown sugar to cut down on carbs and the glaze was plenty sweet. The sage added a delightful taste to the meatloaf. I served with mashed potatoes and a green salad. I only had enough left over to bring to work today for lunch (and I had to hide it in the refrigerator last night or my husband would have eaten it). Thanks for another good recipe, Marie!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ground meats and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
- Process together the onion, egg, milk, salt, pepper, mustard, worchestershire sauce and sage in a food processor until smooth.
- (Sometimes I add a green pepper or some celery at this stage for a variation).
- Pour over meat and crumbs and mix together well using your hands.
- Pack lightly into a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf dish.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350*F.
- Stir together glaze ingredients.
- Spread over loaf and bake for 1/2 hour longer.