Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A simple and delicious snack cake using fresh limes for optimum flavor! From the January 2009 issue of Bon Appétit Magazine. Cooking time reflects time to cool cake.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 -3 large limes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour 8-inch square baking pan.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar in large bowl.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in milk, then flour, until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Halve limes; squeeze enough juice to measure 1/4 cup.
- Mix zest, lime juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in small bowl; set lime syrup aside.
- Using skewer, poke holes all over baked cake.
- Spoon half of lime syrup (about 3 tablespoons) over hot cake.
- Whisk 1 cup powdered sugar into remaining lime syrup; drizzle over cake. Allow to cool for 1 hour before serving.
- Cut cake into squares.