Recipe by Bec
This cake doesn't rise very much, so don't be surprised if it is shorter than you might expect!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 finely grated lemons, zest of, plus more zest for garnish if desired
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Dust with sugar, and tap out excess; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon lemon juice and the milk.
- Put butter and 3/4 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs and zest.
- Working in two batches, alternate mixing in flour mixture and milk mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan- Bake until a caker tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Upon removing cake from oven, immediately brush with lemon glaze.
- Let cake cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Unmold cake.
- Brush remaining glaze on top- Garnish with zest.