Recipe by Semra22
This cake will just melt in your mouth, and has an awesome lemon flavour. Perfect for tea parties or bridal showers or that kind of thing if the kids don't eat it all first.
Top Review by Cookworm
This is fabulous. I did not glaze it as I never got around to it. But, the wonderful news is that we loved it without the glaze. We ate this for breakfast with nothing else but a glass of milk. Oh man it just melts in your mouth.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat lightly.
- Add half this mixture as well as the butter to the dry ingredients and beat at medium speed for one minute.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 parts, beating at same speed for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Beat in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Spoon batter into a loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or till done (test with toothpick).
- Lemon Glaze: in a small saucepan beat the 1/2 cup of sugar into the 1/4 cup of lemon juice till dissolved.
- Brush 3/4 of the glaze onto the cake while still in the pan.
- Let cool 10 minutes, invert and brush the bottom and sides with the remaining glaze.