Recipe by echo echo
One of my favorite quick breads, cuz I love lemon. The preparation time doesn't include cooling time.
Top Review by MsTeechur
Great recipe that didn't have the really high fat levels of other lemon loaf recipes. I did mess up and add the 3 Tbs of lemon juice to the bread batter (oops) so it was a bit more tart than it was probably supposed to be, but I loved it and so did my neighbor. We both agreed there is no such thing as too much lemon so the extra lemon stays! I made it into 3 mini loaves and someone might have eaten almost half of one within the first half hour, but I'm not sure who that might have been. *whistles while walking away*
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- Add the egg and lemon peel and beat well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into a well greased 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F about 55 minutes or until a fork or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Shortly before removing the bread from the oven, make the glaze: combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the glaze over the bread while it's still in the pan and hot.
- Let stand 20 min before turning out on a rack, then let cool before slicing.