Cook1 hr 5 mins
source: Baltimore Sun
Make and share this Glazed Lemon Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons tightly packed lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons tightly packed lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Oven 325- greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with buttermilk.
- Blend well.
- Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Bake on middle rack for 1 hour and 5 minutes (this was right on the nose for my oven) or until cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan.
- Cool on rack ten minutes before removing from pan.
- "Frost"while warm.
- Obviously this runs and then upon cooling almost forms a"shell".
- Beat ingredients well.
Thanks for sharing this Elaine - I took your advice and only made half the icing and it was perfect. Everyone loved this cake - so moist and flavorful. I will be making this again and again.
This is the second time I've enjoyed this cake, first time Beckas had made it course it was wonderful. I made it tonight and made only 1/2 a recipe and put it in 3 mini loaf pans. Had cut the buttermilk so the blueberries didn't sink to the bottom. It still took 1 hr and 5 mins to bake. Couldn't wait for it to cool, so was enjoying while it was hot and warm. Great recipe.
Wonderful! I have made this recipe three times in two months....it is that good! I bake this cake in two loaf pans for a total of 50 minutes. I have have baked this cake and have added 8 oz. of frozen blueberries to the batter and it is wonderful. The bake time with the addition of blueberries for two loaf pans is between 60 and 65 minutes. I've also had better results with the blueberries not falling to the bottom of the cake if the amount of buttermilk is reduced to 2/3 cup. I also divide the icing recipe in half and it's plenty. I was originally looking for a recipe that was similar to Trader Joe's blueberry lemon bread and I think that this recipe makes a better product than what Trader Joe's sales.