Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I got this one from a neighbor. Moist, tender and a flavorful poundcake. So good with ice cream. Please use real butter because it makes a great difference in the flavor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until just blended after each addition.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk and lemon juice.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 75-85 minutes, or just until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- GLAZE; Beat the confectioners' sugar, milk, and lemon juice in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake.
I agree this is a really moist cake but it is also the recipe I use for lemon bread. Highly recommended and indeed only use butter.