Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you like lemons - this is the cake for you! It reminds me of summertime so that's when I usually make it. I got this recipe from TOH and haven't changed anything. We like it the way it is. Times are approximate.
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 7.39 ml lemon extract
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 709.77 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk
- 14.79 ml grated lemon peel
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml water
- 2.46 ml lemon extract
- 177.44 ml sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in lemon peel.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
- Cool 10 minutes longer.
- Combine glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle over warm cake.
- Cool completely before serving.
This recipe was made as per instructions exactly. If you truly like lemons, this cake is not for you. The cake was dry, even though I tested it towards the time limit. Further, the cake had no lemon flavor, other than the glaze. If real lemon juice were added to the recipe, it would have given it some zing, but with just lemon extract (in addition to the vanilla extract) and one tablespoon lemon zest (most recipes I've seen require at least a quarter cup), this recipe has no kick. It could be fine if all you want is a yellow cake, but even then, it's too dry.
I enjoyed making this cake for my husband's birthday. Lemon cake is his favorite. I cooked it for 50 minutes and it was not as moist as I wanted it to be. I will cook it for 45 minutes next time and I will add more lemon extract.
What a delicious cake! Very easy to make and it slid out of my bundt pan like a dream. The lemon flavour is just as intense as I like it to be....perfect! I did make the glaze into a lemon icing simply for the look of it as I used this for a catering job. It got rave reviews from all, everyone loved it! Made for Aussie Swap :)