Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
From Taste of Home. Living in Florida means I usually have a source for fresh lemons even though I don't have a lemon tree. Those who do usually have an over-abundance and are happy to share their bounty. If not, it's easy to find local growers selling their fresh citrus. It really makes a difference in the lemony flavor, but this is still good if you can't get fresh. : )
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in lemon peel.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer.
- Place waxed paper under rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over the warm cake.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.