Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am posting this so I don't loose my copy. My mother gave me this recipe she copied from a magazine in 1990 and I love this bread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For Bread
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together melted margarine or butter, sugar, eggs, and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture.
- Add lemon extract.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350 deg oven 55 to 60 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- For Glaze.
- Mix sugar and lemon juice; immediately spoon over hot loaf. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove bread from the pan; cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
A great tasting Lemon Loaf! I liked Charabears idea of mini loaves for the holidays and bake sales. Easy to make and bakes up beautifully. Perfect for coffee time and teas. Thank you for sharing this delicious Lemon Bread - a keeper for sure.
Made for Fall 09 Pac Premie Adoption. Followed recipe, except added 1/2 tsp lemon zest to mix, and 1/4 tsp to glaze, because we like a really lemony taste, and rather than one loaf made into 5 mini loaves. This is fast and easy, and perfect if you make into mini-loaves for gift baskets. Thank You for a really great keeper, I will be making this up again for Christmas Baskets and our schools Holiday Bake Sale. Hopefully by then I will have batteries for my camara so I can show what a really great bread these make up into.