Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
What a great Spring/Summertime dessert!
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
for the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix the lemon zest and sugar until sugar turns yellow.
- Add the butter to the sugar and mix until fluffy and white, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each one.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice and buttermilk, and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once, and mix well.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Add the batter into the loaf pans, and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before adding the icing.
- To make the icing, mix the lemon juice and the powdered sugar until combined and smooth.
- Remove the cakes from their pans, poke holes in the top and brush on the icing.