Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake has a wonderful moist texture because of it's honey glaze, but it can also be made without it.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2⁄3 cup runny honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 7-inch round cake pan and line it with baking parchment.
- Place the margarine, brown sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and honey in a large mixing bowl and beat well with a wooden spoon for 1 minute, or until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Spoon into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the surface.
- Sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake has risen.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by combining the 2/3 cup honey and lemon juice, and simmering them for 5 minutes in a small saucepan over medium, or until the syrup starts to coat the back of a spoon. As soon as the cake has come out of the oven, pour the syrup over the top.
- The let it cool for at least 2 hours before serving.