Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
For the Torte
- 1 cup flour
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts
For the Filling
- 2 egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Frangelico liqueur
For the Glaze
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frangelico liqueur
- ---Forthe Torte---.
- Place buttered and floured parchment paper (or waxed) on the bottom and sides of a round 9" cake pan; shake out any excess flour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 3 oz chocolate in the water over low heat, stirring& cool.
- Beat 5 eggs until very frothy and light, gradually add the cup of sugar, beating all the while until the mixture is very thick.
- Slowly stir (not beat) in half of the flour, then the chocolate and then the remaining flour, hazelnuts,& vanilla extract.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approx 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Cool for a few minutes and turn out onto a rack, gently remove the paper.
- When fully cooled cut the torte through the center so you have two layers.
- ---Forthe Buttercream Filling---.
- In your blender or food processor blend the 2 egg yolks, add 2 tbsp sugar, two tsp Frangelica and blend until very smooth.
- Gradually add small bits of butter and blend until the butter is totally incorporated.
- Chill the butter cream until it has a consistency that will spread easily (about 1 hour).
- ---Forthe Glaze---.
- You must time making the glaze so it coincides with the chilling of the cake because you want to put on the glaze while it is hot.
- Mix together the cocoa, cream, butter,& confectioner's sugar in a saucepan; use low heat and stir until chocolate is melted and everything is combined; remove from heat (apprx 7 minutes), then stir in the liqueur.
- ---Assemblingthe Torte---.
- Spread the butter cream on the bottom layer, place on the top layer cover and chill for 1 hour in the fridge.
- When the torte has chilled, using an oiled spatula spread the hot glaze over the top and sides of the torte.
this was absolutely delish. invited neighbors in to try and they all went home with recipe. Easy to make, had all the ingreds. on hand, dh helped a little due to my limitation but this is a keeper. Will bring to parties anytime.