Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wow your friends with this succulent ham loaf. The glaze adds just the right touch. Excellent for dinner parties, Easter or special events. Recipe came from a friend who is chef.
- 1 lb ground ham
- 1 lb ground sausage or 1 lb pork
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- cornstarch, to thicken as needed
- Have meat ground together for one 2 lb.
- combination mixture; bring to room temperature.
- (not included in prep time) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, lightly but thoroughly combine meat and bread crumbs; use your hands if necessary.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, add sour cream, onion, lemon juice and spices.
- Mix well, pour over meat mixture and blend together.
- Form mixture into loaf and place in well oiled shallow baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- NOTE: This mixture isn't packed into a loaf pan, it is a free standing long loaf shape.
- Meanwhile, prepare basting sauce.
- In a small saucepan, mix all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Thicken with some cornstarch mixed with water; as needed.
- When ham loaf has baked for 45 minutes, remove from oven and drain off grease.
- Spoon sauce over ham loaf and continue baking another 15 minutes.
- Baste every few minutes with sauce until done cooking.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting to allow loaf to retain shape.